To NOT know

To admit that you don't know is to be humble.
Most of us, or all of us, don't even know who we are......

We can tell a story about our life, our upbringing our background, our nationality, our memories, our first love, our suffering and so on - but it may not be true or just partly true - for instance; our memories are often false.
In many ways, we will be a riddle to our self.
We are not like an equation which has a "solution".

So what can we know about the world, if we cannot know ourselves?

First we have to accept that our senses and our brain are interacting with the world; we are dependent and limited by these "filters". They are helping us to survive - at least in the short run.
But to survive in the long run, we should have to take a step backwards.... where are we going if we continue to live in this way.

We like to buy things to impress on others. And we make then jealous and they want to buy the same thing. And that is probably something that is deep rooted in our minds. But we can also stop and think; do I really need this thing? Will it make me happy in the long run? Will that thing give me a warm memory when I get old? Will I be more loved if I own this thing?  Is this the way I listen to my deepest values?

Sometimes I help severe handicapped people, and when they smile I know my life has a meaning - and I automatically slow down. I don't have to look for fame or a fast car when I listen to what my values tell me.

But for all of us it also is important to take time for ourselves and for our friends - when we laugh the surroundings will be glad too... And with mindfulness we can instantly be good to ourselves - just listen to your breath for some seconds, be aware of what you are thinking, and then of your body and you will be more calm.
You will not find solutions - but you will for sure be more happy. And you will probably see beauty in many more places then before. Even in the misty days of fall...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cora Diamond on eating animals - with the help of Wittgenstein´s ideas

I think, therefore I am NOT

Wittgenstein and Buddha -buddies?