Who am I? Where are we going...?

I cannot leave this questions.
When I look at my face I can see traces of my ancestors. I look a bit like some of them. A bit like my father, my uncles and so on. And they surely looked a bit like even older ancestors.

But if  we look a bit longer it's not difficult to understand that I am related to the whole humankind.

Our genes are nearly the same. Scientist believe that we all come from 10 000 people or less who survived a global catastrophe about 70 000 years ago;  The Toba catastrophe.  Other animals has often more differentiated genes.

And if we look even longer back we can see that we all are relatives to the first bacterias on earth.
So the statement, "All is one" is in many ways true...

Many philosophers think the most relevant question is, why is there anything at all?

A really big question and of course impossible to answer. But we can anyway see that life on earth  has developed to more and more complex structures. And the human brain is often said to be the most complex thing.
Perhaps it's difficult to be proud of what we humans have done to the earth and to ourselves.

But I think we anyway should be proud of  some things- we have created very complex societies. Think of the collective traffic, the hospitals, the museums and so on. And in some countries handicapped people, children and women are treated in a quite respectful way. Even if a lot can be better, they are more respected than hundred years ago.

So we can ask ourselves; are some evolution or development going on that we are just superficially aware of?

At least if we are optimistic, we can hope that it is like that. Perhaps all the suffering in the world in some way can lead to something good. In a longer perspective we humans just have been on earth for a very short time, just some million years. Not long if we compare with, for instance, the era of the dinosaurs. As species we are really young on this earth.

So in that scenario you and I are parts of a development that we hardly can see.
And perhaps that road are more important than we as individuals are...

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cora Diamond on eating animals - with the help of Wittgenstein´s ideas

I think, therefore I am NOT

Wittgenstein and Buddha -buddies?