Dangers with mindfulness?

There are dangers with everything.
At least if you do it to the extreme.

Even to drink too much water is dangerous.

As a mindfulness practitioner, I think it's foolish to exclude Buddhist philosophy from the practice.

For me its not just enough to just meditate and let things like ethics aside.

You can practice mindfulness to be a good sniper.

So the intention with mindfulness is very important.

As, right view and so on.

But what about the first of the noble truth about Dukkha? That means, all conditional phenomena and experiences are unsatisfying.

Interpreters use to say that this is not a pessimistic view, as Buddha suggests a path to liberation from rebirth, and therefore suffering.
But what about if we don't believe in rebirth?

Well, I guess we can have the secular view, that mindfulness helps even in this life, though it's no miracle cure. Anyway It helps you to not drown in all the suffering in life, it helps you to not be stuck in your own thoughts.

It helps you even more if you follow even the seven other path's in the eight fold wheel.
Buddha as a kind of Doctor!



But what about dangers with Buddhist meditation in this life?

Seanglim Bit, a Cambodian writer, claims that the country is still haunted by the story of the Red Khmer's.  And one of the causes of the disaster was the Buddhist resignation towards existence.

As the reality as we see it is unsatisfying and  unreal, why bother with it?
Some Buddhist schools claims that the reality is literately an illusion. While others claims that it's the view of separate phenomena that is the illusion.

Here Robert Wright discusses, in an interview with Miguel Farias, the danger of (to much) meditation:
http://meaningoflife.tv/videos/31739?in=50:58&out=55:40  


 It can troublesome to come back from long retreats and meet the normal world with it ups and downs, harsh words and stressed people.

But if you practice in a moderate way it's not so risky, if you not have a latent psychos hiding inside;
here Farias talks about that;
http://meaningoflife.tv/videos/31739?in=13:54&out=17:18 

For me, as a moderate meditator, I haven't found any of this troubles, but I have found some benefits, as an ability to not identify with troublesome thoughts and calmness in, for instance, queues.

I also find it very satisfying to not always identify myself with just "me".
The interconnections I'm in are more real than me as a separate individual.

And in meditation I can have a sense of that.

But then again I have to go back to the conventional world, where there really is a "me". And for sure I still find troublesome moments. Maybe I have found a way not to get lost in them, not to lament to much, as I know troubles will come, as everything changes.
When, for instance, my phone breaks, as it did in Vietnam, I can say to my self; "It's just a machine, don't cling to it, be pleased, because you can buy a new one - and it was not expensive".


In Sweden we have a saying; "Lagom är bäst".  That means - not to much, not to little is the best.

So maybe that's a good way to meditate.

And what about to be "lagom" Buddhist?






























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cora Diamond on eating animals - with the help of Wittgenstein´s ideas

I think, therefore I am NOT

Wittgenstein and Buddha -buddies?