Agnes Martin

You have to know this human being - both as a human and as a painter - a kind of zen-master;
http://vimeo.com/7127385  (or search for the video at vimeo or youtube)

Her paintings are sometimes nearly unvisible. They reminds of the words in Rilkes Duino Elegies;
Earth, is this your will?
An invisible resurrection
within ourselves?
Is it your desire
one day to vanish?
Earth! Invisible!
What do you demand
but transformation?
Beloved Earth, I will!

What does Martins Painting mean?
I think it's a wrong question - Just look at it, meditate about the title - She says that she always paints by inspiration - so we can not be sure of who really painted it. Then we will again land in the question; What is an "I"? And remember that the answer can be either conventional or ultimate - or both....



"I Love the whole world" by Agnes Martin:
Agnes Martin, ‘I Love the Whole World’ 1999

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cora Diamond on eating animals - with the help of Wittgenstein´s ideas

I think, therefore I am NOT

Wittgenstein and Buddha -buddies?